Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 25th June 2010, 11:57   #1 (permalink)

jimm will become famous soon enough
Road from airport

Hi all,
Any update on the road from Torba to Yalikavak.
Wife and kids driving from the airport for first time alone tomorrow.
I'm wondering which way they should go.
Would be fine if road is the same as last year from Torba to Yalikavak.
Anyone travelled it recently. Thanks Jimm.
jimm is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 25th June 2010, 12:43   #2 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold
Re: Road from airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm View Post
Hi all,
Any update on the road from Torba to Yalikavak.
Wife and kids driving from the airport for first time alone tomorrow.
I'm wondering which way they should go.
Would be fine if road is the same as last year from Torba to Yalikavak.
Anyone travelled it recently. Thanks Jimm.
drove it about 6 weeks ago & it was fine . If its her first time tell her to watch out for that slight left turn down that route or she may end up in Gundogan . Maybe she would be better off [driving at night ] to take the left turn at the Kipa lights as she does not want to get lost on a lonely route like Torba at night .
biggles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 12:48   #3 (permalink)
LOVING MY LIFE

Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,506 Posts
luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
drove it about 6 weeks ago & it was fine . If its her first time tell her to watch out for that slight left turn down that route or she may end up in Gundogan . Maybe she would be better off [driving at night ] to take the left turn at the Kipa lights as she does not want to get lost on a lonely route like Torba at night .
Biggles -- a left turn at Kipa lights on way from airport she will end up going towards Turgetries !!
Have just returned from airport myself today via Torba road and it"s still abit dangerous - and lots of pot holes - if your wife driving at night she would be best to go straight through Bodrum and take a RIGHT turn at Kipa !
Pete&Mag (25th June 2010)
Old 25th June 2010, 12:53   #4 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycat68 View Post
Biggles -- a left turn at Kipa lights on way from airport she will end up going towards Turgetries !!
Have just returned from airport myself today via Torba road and it"s still abit dangerous - and lots of pot holes - if your wife driving at night she would be best to go straight through Bodrum and take a RIGHT turn at Kipa !
oooops . sorry about about that ,yes of course its a right turn [but it is signposted ] I found the Torba road ok a few weeks back its just that there is a slight left turn on that Torba road [going to yali] & i know of at least 2 people who went right at that kink & ended up in gundogan village at 3 am in the morning . its not my wife driving . there is no way she will drive in Turkey ,oh no . not bloeing own trumpet ,but i am pretty good car wise mechanical ,yet i do not go Torba way at night as cant see thepoint as i only ever go that way to avoid Bodrum traffic ,so if going at night or early morning there is no point in going that route .

Last edited by biggles; 25th June 2010 at 12:58..
Old 25th June 2010, 13:23   #5 (permalink)

lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light

Biggles ...........coming from Torba to Yali, the slight right turn goes to Golturkbuku, not Gundogan.
Gundogan is further on and its a definite turn of the car to go into the village.
Road to/from airport has a lot of bollards & things switching you from one side to the other as they are asphalting so closing one side of the dual carriageway at a time. Also watch out for bollards & warnings where guys are building walls along the route.Not good in places.
Torba junction........bit better if you are coming from Torba to Bodrum, slip road is now open & you dont have to wait at the busy junction.
Its getting there......................slowly !!
Old 25th June 2010, 13:41   #6 (permalink)
biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne View Post
Biggles ...........coming from Torba to Yali, the slight right turn goes to Golturkbuku, not Gundogan.
Gundogan is further on and its a definite turn of the car to go into the village.
Road to/from airport has a lot of bollards & things switching you from one side to the other as they are asphalting so closing one side of the dual carriageway at a time. Also watch out for bollards & warnings where guys are building walls along the route.Not good in places.
Torba junction........bit better if you are coming from Torba to Bodrum, slip road is now open & you dont have to wait at the busy junction.
Its getting there......................slowly !!
Hi Lynne . I will get it right soon ? golturkbutu . I know about the switching lanes as i was coming from the a/port at 4 am plus they blocked off the Bodrum slip from the a/port [did not know ] & we went off towards Izmir dir . Obviously you dont go far before you can go back bodrum dir I always go Kipa route to Yali at night , I have been Torba route late at night a few times & was once coming back from Ephesus [4 in the car ] it was dark & we were all nattering when we suddenly ended up in golturbutu and we all said to each other ,how the hell did we end up here [missed the left fork further back by talking ] .the other people in the car have driven Torba route many times but they did not notice that i had slipped down the right fork on that road . Mind you its ok going wrong when you know where & why . i went off the Paris ring road once in a mini bus full of relatives on way to spain and was heading for centre of Paris in the rush hour . Now that was a nightmare especially with GB plates and the un cooprative french . Got back on the ring road somw how .
Old 25th June 2010, 14:03   #7 (permalink)
bayview

jeff will become famous soon enough jeff will become famous soon enough

I assume the airport entry and exit roads are ok now. When I was out last month the Bodrum exit road from the airport was closed and I had to drive away from Bodrum and then take the first u-turn point which was a bit hairy. Similarly, when driving to the airport the entrance road from the Bodrum side was closed so I had to drive past and again take next u-turn and come in from the other side.

There were also various resurfacing works being carried out on the main Bodrum road during the day. Are they finished now?
Old 25th June 2010, 14:21   #8 (permalink)
ex Bond Girl

rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold

We live on the Torba road and they are now smoothing out the sides, pot holes have been more or less filled in again, large holes for water pipe manholes are now filled in with the exception of one. I am hoping that the resurfacing of the road is not going to be too long. No white lines yet.

Plenty of dust really fed up with trying to keep the house clean.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:48   #9 (permalink)
biggles

yes it must be a pain living near all that dust ,i opften see guys on mopeds disappear in a cloud of dust while i am driving with the A/C on & windows shut . When i last drove to Bodrum A/Port i had to do a sharp right turn across what i could only describe as a building site full of diggers & trucks to gain accesss to the A/Port in road . You have to laugh really as somehow you manage to get to where you are going despite it all .
Old 25th June 2010, 14:49   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 1,033 Times in 683 Posts
ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of

No they are not finished re-surfacing.... They are just gouging up the section from Bitez corner up to the old Koctas corner so single lanes on one side there. ( that will take ages)
Torba Junction - changes - now at least slip roads, but take care and keep your wits about you!
Torba to Airport- not sure- but cant be good!

Gumusluk village road dug up and diverted from Village to above School.

and lots of roads are just hell to drive- Turgutreis back road from petrol station towards Akyarlar has had some asphalt slapped on it- but its so bumpy.

Dont expect to go anywhere too fast!
ChrisBobs is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
airport , road